Search This Blog

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Prometheus Review


Right out of the gate, I'll just say it right now. My thoughts on Prometheus is pretty much split down the middle during the writing to this review. I couldn't say that I particularly liked it nor could I necessarily say that I hated it. So, let's see if my opinions might sway me in one direction by the end of this review. First off, going into this movie, I wanted to be as open minded as possible despite making the decision to re-watch the first Alien film as a means to jog my memory on the tone and history of this universe. I watched all of the main trailers but never took up on the opportunity to really dig deep into speculation or building up high expectations as I would with other anticipated titles. I figured the more clear minded that I was going into a movie with this much attention to mystery surrounding it, the better the experience would likely be in the long run. So, how does Prometheus deliver in the end considering my efforts to fully digest it for what it was.


From an artistic cinematic level, I'll just say it right now that Prometheus is one of the most groundbreaking movies out there right now in the same way that James Cameron's Avatar was considered regarding visuals. From the Prometheus spaceship's design and aesthetics down to the little carvings on the walls of the caves explored, I found myself observing and soaking in every single detail onscreen being fully immersed and engaged in some of the awe inspiring science-fiction imagery at times. Not only does the visual FX deserve an award for its gorgeous and seamless craftsmanship, but it's the highly immersive atmosphere and excellent set deign being displayed here that also deserves a huge round of applause.


If you've ever seen a science-fiction film where you (the viewer) wished you could actually visit the world being shown onscreen, this would be one of those incidents that encourages the feeling of exploration. Also on the subject of visuals, the creature designs are pretty interesting from the tall mysterious Engineers to the other alien monstrosities introduced in this world. There is just no lacking in overall art direction here as every piece of world building component is given a passionate sense of attention in its presentation no matter how much screen time it may be given at the end of the day. Speaking as a complete nerd for the science-fiction genre, it brings me utter joy whenever I get to see a movie that goes out of its way in the art department to showcase things that are meant to immediately grab the audience's attention and never let it go.


Now as far as characters go, this is where my thoughts on Prometheus start to get a little bit on the mixed side. Centering on an ensemble of various individuals here, out of everyone that was introduced, the only ones that were genuinely intriguing and important enough for me to pay attention to were David (the android) and Elizabeth Shaw (the lead scientist). I found myself actually caring about her character's well-being throughout and David being this intelligent android with a hidden agenda was an interesting entity on its own that stole just about every scene that he was a part of. Most of the other cast (aside from the the charismatic, smooth talking ship captain played by Idris Elba) was either bland or never developed quite enough to grab my interest. Honestly, there were scenes where these easily expendable characters would do something utterly moronic (especially considering their positions as scientists) making them come across as annoying cliched horror film victims more so than anything.


As far as story goes, this movie offers so much to the audience, but at the same time, doesn't give you nearly enough to really grasp and hold onto. I think a good analogy here would be to imagine being handed a final exam on something that was only covered for a couple of minutes in class, but yet the teacher expects you to answer all 150 questions accurately. Some of these questions do miraculously strike a bell, but at the end of the day, you're already dreading what that likely awful grade will look like. After given your exam back and seeing that horrible grade, the teacher looks at you and say "Maybe next year (a sequel to Prometheus in this analogy) I'll focus on this particular chapter a bit more so people will have a better chance at passing my exam" leaving you with a bitter feeling of confusion and dissatisfaction. Now, that might seem a bit overboard to a degree, but hopefully you understand what I'm getting at in terms of a sequel trying to make up for the many unanswered questions and quickly tossed in exposition. The allure of a sequel should be to expand what was firmly established, not fill in what was glaringly lacking.


I personally felt that the story of the Engineers was interesting enough in concept (the idea of meeting our creators in the cosmos), but if I'm being completely honest here, I walked out of the theaters remembering nothing more than their intriguing character design. Perhaps a director's cut will shed some light on their story a bit more, but that would be a key plot point missing being tossed to the side for a special edition version of the film which in my book is a bit of a cop out. The wait for Prometheus 2 in this sense ends up feeling like a drag more than a highly anticipated upcoming event when major plot points are left in the air like it is here. It's amazing and upsetting at the same time just how much potential lingers behind this movie as the beginning of a new set of films in the Alien universe. 

I was never really expecting it to live up to the first 1979 classic due to how unfair of a pressure filled weight that would be to pile on top of a new IP of sorts. As a stand alone film, I can only say that it is in fact a unique and interesting science-fiction adventure worth checking out for what it manages to bring to its explored genre directions. As a matter of fact, I'd even go as far as to call this "theater worthy" for the previously mentioned cinematic presentation alone. Unfortunately, I don't think that it fully lives up to what was possible considering its large scope concepts and franchise link.


In terms of standout character moments, aside from a few unnecessary and tonally awkward interaction scenes, there are a couple of genuinely intense situations that is sure to keep viewers at the edge of their seats. The big highlight here being a disturbing surgery scene which, from beginning to end, went down as one of the greatest sci-fi horror scenes in the history of the genre. From the increasingly tension filled build up of the situation being established to the grotesque yet disgustingly satisfying pay off, this was the point in Prometheus where I really started to feel as though I was watching a worthy Ridley Scott Alien franchise title. There was the surgery bit and a few others where amazing creature feature sequences were playing out that had me applauding this film (speaking about them as scenes in a vacuum and not the overall plot points that they introduced). I also felt that the ending was an intriguing send off, and in some way, a rewarding finale going alongside the more adventurous and mysterious elements of the film's cosmic themes. Like I said, the potential is certainly present and sometimes it does pay off...albeit in small increments.


In the end, I'll say that Prometheus was a good science-fiction movie that looks to set up something even greater in the long run whether it be a stand-alone trilogy or something that actually ties into the first iconic Alien film. However, as a new movie standing on its own two feet, Prometheus ends up stumbling ever so slightly just being interesting at best with a few amazing scenes worth checking out. Genre fans should be encouraged to at the very least give this one a shot, but I couldn't honestly say that most moviegoers will be mind blown by the experience as much as they might expect. There's a lot to love here and simultaneously a lot to scratch your head over in confusion and discontentment. If you thought a lot of pressure of expectations was being placed on this particular title, just imagine how much the sequel will have to lift up in order to really give fans that sense of fulfillment that's being deeply desired now.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is an open house for all film lovers. My only rule is to keep a respectful mindset when posting (no need for conflict in a place of passion).